Medical Treatment and Advance Care Directives
If you are concerned about an advance care directive or a medical treatment decision made by either the medical treatment decision maker or the person who made the appointment, apply to VCAT.
What we can do
- Decide the validity of an advance care directive.
- Review a medical treatment decision, including the appointment of a medical treatment decision maker or support person.
- Provide advice or direction to a medical treatment decision maker or health practitioner about an advance care directive or someone's medical treatment.
- Review a decision about a medical research procedure.
Cases we can't help with
We can’t accept:
- some cases where one party lives in another state or is a Commonwealth government organisation
- cases heard under federal law instead of Victorian law.
Choose the type of application that applies to you
Seek advice about medical treatment for someone
As a person’s medical treatment decision maker or health practitioner, get advice from VCAT about whether medical treatment is appropriate for a person.
Challenge a medical treatment decision
We can make a decision about the authority of a medical treatment decision maker or support person.
Review of an advance care directive
We can review the validity, cancellation, amendment or meaning of an advance care directive.
Challenge a decision about a medical research procedure
Apply to have VCAT decide on whether a medical research procedure is appropriate for someone.